Thursday, March 5, 2009

Would you hire a candidate with a video resume?

I have a friend, who helps his clients build online portfolio's, which include short video clips that they can send to potential employers. http://www.corporatewarriors.com/articles/careerbuilder/Portfolio.cfm

There are also websites devoted exclusively to the online resume: http://webzume.com/

I have spoken with some HR people, and generally they do not like the idea. They think that a video clip introduces too much bias, and potential exposure to law suits. They worry about EEO laws and the possibility that they may be accused of discrimination.

On the other hand, line managers seem to think this is a great idea. It gives them a third dimension that you just can't get with a resume. They argue that services like LinkedIn are making access to information much more available. This includes pictures of potential candidates, and maybe even personal information from sites like Facebook. Many believe that the value of receiving a video resume outweighs the concerns that HR may have.

I do not receive video resumes very often, but I seem to always watch the ones that I do get. Perhaps the novelty will wear off, but for now I think it is a clear differentiator. Even if I prefer a standard resume for reviewing a candidates background, I think it would be great to have that brief video, if I can get it.

How would you view a candidate that uses a video resume? Would you use one yourself?

No comments:

Post a Comment