Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Consulting Pulse

If you are interested in finding a useful consulting community to join, check out www.consultingpulse.com. They are highly professional, provide valuable recommendations and avoid spam.

You can register with them on LinkedIn, and get periodic updates from their webmaster.

Here is a short excerpt from an email I received from them recently. If you like it, sign up for their newsletter at http://www.consultingpulse.com/2008/01/consultant-newsletter.html and you will receive the three part series:


Street Smart Marketing...

______________________________
_____________________________________

The old formula is broken
___________________________________________________________________

My first *serious* company, aside from the cake stall in 4th grade
(which was a great earner I have to admit) was a maintenance services
company in Australia.

It was the 90's and I had discovered a company who was trying to
deliver software in my area over the Internet.

What a revolutionary concept, I remember thinking.

So I called them up. Did the deal, set up the company and away I went.

I knew NOTHING about marketing apart from what I had seen. Basically,
that meant the ads I saw all the time in newspapers, magazines and
on the radio and TV.

So, because I was *smarter* than everybody else; I invested a small
fortune in ads for trade magazines. Then waited for the inevitable
flood of phone calls.

It was an absolute disaster... no one called. At all. Not one person.

I had seen the product. It was great. The pricing was cheap, it worked
well. And from my own experience I knew that the *need* really
did exist.

So why weren't they pushing each other our of the way to do business
with me?

This is where I started to work out that the old way of doing
things... was broken.

It took me a bit longer, several press releases, and a couple of
thousand dollars later, but finally...I got it.

If you have to market your services and products, like we have to,
then interruption marketing is not the way to do it.

___________________________________________________________________

The new formula
___________________________________________________________________

People don't buy from people they like, they buy from people they
trust. (Zig Ziglar)

Have a think about it for a minute. Where did you hear about Google?
What about LinkedIn? Amazon? Seth Godin? Guy Kawasaki? Alan Weiss?

Etcetera...

Ever see them on a TV ad? Or in the newspaper? Or on the radio?

I never have. And these people and products are part of my every day
life now in one way or another.

Why? Because somebody told me about them. Somebody I trusted, and I
"bought" the idea enough to have a look, then when I did - I was
hooked!

Thats the new formula - don't try to be where your audience is and
demand their attention. Instead be what they are looking for and
gain their trust with extra-ordinary services or products.

This is why Google Adwords has changed the world of marketing.

They don't try to interrupt you while you are reading the newspaper,
watching the TV, driving down the highway, or listening to the radio.

Instead they put a couple of lines of text near something you were
looking for. And if you were looking for "ice cream varieties", then
you could see an add for "Ice Cream Cars" in the right hand column.

(I kid you not!)

Why? Because if you are looking for ice cream varieties, then you
could also have an interest in this. (I suddenly do actually)

But that's only half the deal. The easy part of the deal.

When they come - you have to be far from ordinary. You have to be
extraordinary!
_________________

No comments:

Post a Comment