Monday, October 20, 2008

Each time one of my candidates goes on an interview, I receive feedback about a client organization, their job opening, and the personal impression they create. I generally hear good things about my clients, but I am sometimes surprised to hear that they make a few very basic errors.

Most hiring managers think of interviewing as a chance to gather information about a new potential hire. They also recognize that they represent their organizations, and want to create a great impression with candidates. If you avoid some obvious pitfalls and follow some basic steps, you will maximize your potential to outdo your competition, and hire the best candidates.

When a recruiter debriefs people that you have interviewed, would you rather have them say, “They didn’t even have my resume and had to scramble to find a copy.” OR “The interviewer asked a lot of direct questions about my background?”

If you have read this far, you are unlikely to make the basic mistake of failing to prepare for an interview. If you simply take five minutes, or even three, you will put yourself in the right frame of mind. Make sure you have a resume, if you have received one. Take a look at it. It’s that simple.

Would you rather have them say, “He barely asked me any questions; he seemed to just want to talk about his organization,” OR “I feel like they have enough information to evaluate whether I am a cultural fit?”

TIP: Ask at least a few well-thought out questions. The biggest mistake candidates make is to over talk an interview. Make sure you do not make this mistake as an interviewer. Prepare some specific questions beforehand, or just have your boilerplate ready. When you interview politely, but incisively, you will leave your candidates with the impression that you are competent and thorough.

Would you rather have them say, “It sounded really great, but I need to check with my friends to see what their reputation is in the marketplace,” OR “They definitely told me about some challenges they are facing, and I think I can help?”

TIP: Provide realistic information, including drawbacks at your company. Certainly don’t dwell on the negative, but tell your candidates that you understand and are dealing with issues that your organization faces. Every company has warts. Painting too rosy a picture will diminish your credibility, and send your candidates away looking for answers. On the other hand, framed properly, obstacles may present interesting challenges for your best candidates to tackle.

Part two of this article next week……

Contact Jason Sanders

*This article contains actual statements made during post-interview debriefings

No comments:

Post a Comment