Monday, June 30, 2008

Standardized Testing

I always enjoyed standardized tests. I did well on my SATs and my GREs. Don’t ask for numbers, I’m not getting into a pissing contest.

On the other hand, many of my friends hated these exams. They didn’t “test well.”

One of my clients uses standardized testing for all new hires, including the most senior positions in the firm. They believe so strongly in this method, that they have failed many excellent candidates based on the results.

Despite my own track record and the belief of my one client, I recommend against personality testing in favor of a less rigid approach. I trust a well-constructed interview process, more than I trust an exam. I also think it sends a negative impression to senior executive candidates.

Have you ever undergone a personality test as part of an interview process? How did it work out?

Contact Jason Sanders

No comments:

Post a Comment